Prior to becoming a personal fitness trainer, I worked for around 20 years in financial administration, progressing from junior to senior roles. Throughout this time I kept myself fit with cycling, running and weight training. I was always interested in sport and exercise and was able to fit in some part time academic studies on the topic, around my work. In 2004, a reorganisation at my employer gave me the opportunity to study full time and, in conjunction with my earlier studies, I was able to gain a BSc honours degree in Sports and Exercise Science. Having previously qualified as a Gym Instructor I was then able to work as a personal fitness trainer.
I’ve been a participant in cycle racing for around 30 years, off and on. Best results have been medal placings in regional track championships, regular wins and placings at the Manchester Velodrome Friday Track League, and Gold standard performances in most UK based cycle Sportives I have particpated in. I was secretary of a Leeds based cycling club, Leeds Mercury CC, for about 20 years .
– Bsc(Hons) Sport & Exercise Science (2:1) – University of York St John 2005
– Diploma in Sports Psychology Newcastle College 2003
– Central YMCA Gym instructor 2005
– OCR Circuit training instructor 2006
– Juice Performance Weight loss strategies 2007
– Juice Performance Stability ball techniques 2007
– Leeds Met University – First aid certificate 2014
– Lifetime Health & Fitness – Group Studio Cycling 2009
– Lifetime Health & Fitness – Sports and Performance Nutrition 2010
– Association of British Cycling Coaches – Coach from July 2012
I am a full member of the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) being an advanced instructor at level 3. I am also insured through REPS.
The Register of Exercise Professionals is the national governing body for employees in the fitness industry. Membership indicates that certain qualifications have been met, that the member is competent, complies with the code of ethical practice and that continued professional development is undertaken.
You can do a name search on the REPS website to check if an individual is registered. When choosing a personal trainer, ensure that they are a member of REPS
Similarly, for my cycle coaching activities, I am a fully qualified member of the Assn British Cycling Coaches.